Thursday, October 27, 2005

Another wee update from yesterday!



Hi all. It´s around 6:30am Cusco time and I thought I would get a quick jump on the ole´computer this morning as I didnt get to write too much last night because there was a massive queue in the hostel for the computers .. so here´s a few more wee charmers from yesterday. After I had unpacked a bit, I thought "Right, time to go adventuring and check out this wonderful and ancient city". So I open the door of the hostel, stepped outside, took a deep breath, and ...then - the damn pigeon pooped all down my brand new REI "sporty spice" jacket.. Hmmnn - an omen I think. It IS supposed to be a lucky sign I suppose so that´s how I´m interpreting it! I have attached a new photo - this is the view from the hostel bar.. not bad eh. Cusco is apparantly the undisputed archeological capital of the Americas as well as the continent´s oldest continuously inhabitated city. There are massive stone Inca walls lining the city streets, and the streets themselves are cobbled with some of them being very steep and narrow. I was walking past one of the wee squares yesterday evening and there were about 40 children, aged between 4-6 i think, all learning a new dance for an upcoming Creole Festival of all things. Their teacher, this very excitable flute player, was obviously running the show and doing a pretty good job with the kids, except for this one wee boy in a pink shirt who kept getting his left and right mixed up. It was hilarous - his pals kept trying to help him get it right and the teacher would come over and raise his hands, then they would all burst out laughing together. Sounds kinda corny but it was very funny to watch. OK enough of my ramblings.. again.. I´m to buy "un te y un churros de chocolate" down town before i start my tour at 8:30am..will try to post those shots tonight but if not, you won´t hear from me for a few days as I´ll be climbing all over Macchu Picchu. Wish me luck. Stefanie

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey its great to hear this news. love the pics especially the one from your room, great view of those rooftops and then that wee hill in the distance. keep breathing deeply, enjoy the wee hike!!!

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh hey stef, that was me, ruth. i did not know what this 'anonymous' was....

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, is that you in the picture?
You must be staying in a 5 star hostel with views like that.
Keep snaping. Hope the hike is fun.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi its ruth, welcome back from your little 'hike,' gosh if those healthworks hiking trip gals could see you now, they would be way impressed!! you've come a long way baby, as they say....

hey miss you on our street!!! hope all is well. pamper those feet of yours, they must be sore.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stef:

Pigeon poop is a universal symbol of good luck (much like the pineapple is the universal symbol of hospitality). I would suggest that you race off immediately to the horse track and place all of those Amex dollars we gave you on High Hat in the fifth.

Glad you're safe and that you're trip is off to such an auspicious start.

Keep safe,

Gary

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're really there! Dying to find out about the BIG WALK. Fill us in when you've rested your toes a bit. And I hear pigeon poop is the big accessory this season. You're on the cutting edge!
Loved your story about the little ones playing...

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stef, so glad its all going well, sounds fantastic, I would love to visit Cusco, have a blast, am thinking of you on the trek, hard work, sure it will be worth it!
Looking forward to reading all about it, love Sam

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiya Stefaroonie
what an amazing journey. I've seen Macchu Picchu on TV travel programmes, but YOU'VE BEEN THERE!!! Can't wait to hear you describe it. keep smiling
love the photos
xx beth

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stef -

Hostels have bars?!!! I think it's time for me to do a little traveling.

steve

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stef-
Oh, I miss you already! Nice pics from the hostel. Not bad at all!
I think right now you are heading to Machu Pichu. Sounds fabulous. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Oh, and I am happy the birdie took a little doodie on you. Now, I really know someone is keeping after you!!

Christina
xxoo

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stef!
so fun to read of your running amuck in the sacred valley! 3 things i hope you do while you're there:
1) try the guinea pig - it's actually quite good. tastes like duck.
2) at machu picchu, if you have the time, hike wayna picchu, the smaller mountain that overlooks the ruins from the other side. it's pretty steep and the steps are a bit dodgy but it's a great work-out (takes like 2 1/2 hours R/T) and an awesome perspective of the site. plus there are like 100x fewer tourists. early morning is the best time to hit it.
and 3) end every day with a pisco sour. and a cusquena chaser.
travel safe and rock on, sister!
cheers -
allison (juves)
xox

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home